Eating a huge, grease-laden meal in 100 degree summer weather makes me feel BLAH. I move slower, feel worse, and am convinced that my arms and legs shrivel up until I resemble a slug… or Jabbah the Hut. (All of the above is void if you are grilling burgers! 🙂 )
One of my favorite go-to greens during August is Arugula. Being naturally low in calories with a fantastic peppery flavor, Arugula is a great base to spice up your typical summer salad. And let’s not forget that is is FULL of antioxidants, vitamin A and phytochemicals that have been known to counter some carcinogens.
The recipe calls for only 3 ingredients, without counting the salt, sugar and pepper, which I’m really hoping you keep handy! Of course you can use this recipe as your base and add in some walnuts, feta cheese, or your favorite veggies for some variety, but this is a bright, crisp and refreshing salad all on its own.
EASY Arugula Salad with Lemon VINAIGRETTE
- 1 5OZ bag of Organic Arugula
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 C. Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- Dash of Pepper (Optional)
- 1/4 TSP of Sugar (Optional)
- Wash and dry your arugula in a large bowl and set aside.
2) Zest the entire lemon being careful not to catch the pith (white part) that is bitter.
3) In a small bowl, juice the lemon you just zested. Watch out for seeds!
4) Add the zest to the small bowl.
5) Slowly drizzle in the Light Olive Oil (Light because you do not want to heavy of an olive taste. It will overpower the lemon!) Whisk/stir as you drizzle.
6) Add 1/4 tsp of salt and the pepper and sugar if you choose. If you are adding pepper, I would recommend not adding the sugar, and vice versa. I prefer the vinaigrette clean and simple with salt and pepper, but the sugar is great if you are adding mandarin oranges or another fruit to the salad. You have options! Test them out! Combine the spices.
7) Add HALF of the vinaigrette to the arugula and toss. You will have some dressing left over, or you can double up on arugula if you’re feeding a crowd. How much dressing someone uses is a personal matter. 🙂