Finding the right balance of festive and fancy when it comes to Halloween decor can be difficult. Too often, tacky orange and glittery items end up in our livingrooms and only last us one year… or one season! In the last few days I’ve scoured the internet for items that will make your home interiors fun for this spooky holiday, all while still looking classy. An added benefit? Many of the pieces can last through Thanksgiving! Less work decorating and less money spent! YEAH!
- Throws – Added to a chair or the back of a couch, throws are a great way to add a dash of color. To keep with the fall theme, and last all season long, pick a deeper hue like hunter green, maroon, or mustard yellow. Also, don’t forget texture! A chunky knit screams cozy and look expensive without breaking the bank. If your couch is solid, or you want something more daring, a plaid throw in autumnal shades will also look great. Just be sure to match the other decor pieces to colors in the throw so it doesn’t look too busy.
- Candelabras – Really, a brass or bronze candelabra will do as long as it has the vintage, eerie look that it may have been used once in a haunted house. For maximum effect, add fun tapers (you know, those cool ones that drip blood?!) or make it extra chic with a metallic like gold or silver. The options are endless, as are the uses for the candelabras!
- Framed Posters – Skulls, skeletons, anatomy, palmistry, even a good old-fashioned periodic table can turn your wall into a creepy lab or classroom without being too over-the-top. My favorite brand that has a very vintage-vibe is Cavallini and you can get them on Amazon for under $5 a pop! I have a poster for every season and then some. To keep things extra affordable, opt for a plastic poster frame to place it in. They can also be found on Amazon or at Target.
- Dish Towel – Don’t forget your kitchen needs some fall love too! Hung on the handle of your oven, towels are a perfect way to add a dash whimsy to a space that is often overlooked. You can even get a spatula to match!
- Pilllows – Alright, it’s confession time. I have a MAJOR obsession with throw pillows, guys. They are hands-down the EASIEST way to spruce up a space on a budget and there are so many cute ones out there. Personally, I opt for pillow covers instead of pillows because I don’t have a ton of storage and I can take the covers off and easily wash them in case my cat decides to be bad… or nephews decide to wip their cheetoh fingers on them! Just buy the pillow sizes you want and then sore the covers in a container in a closet or garage and change as needed. Voila! (Both the faux fur and velvet cover shown are from H&M.)
- & 8. Candle Holders – The deep and gray tones of the candle holders above make them appropiate for the fall months and are small enough to place on a bathroom countertop or bookcase without getting in the way. Because they are not too Halloween-y, they can work double-time in the winter months. Picture a woodland theme with pretty silvers and gold mixed in at Christmas time. Fall and Christams in one?! Yes, please.
- Pumpkins – Pumpkins and Halloween are like tea and sugar. They just go together. The ceramic cocotte, heat-proof casserole dish, shown can evenly cook stews, casseroles, ciders and more and go straight from oven to table to serve your guests. It looks festive and you won’t have as many dishes to do at the end of the day. 🙂 Bonus?! It is currently 50% off at Sur La Table!
What are some of your favorite ways to decorate for fall?