Living in Texas means summers are hot! It takes a few extra steps to ensure your skin and hair stays hydrated and your makeup stays put. Here are a few of my favorite summer beauty essentials that can really take the heat. (Pun definitely intended. 🙂 )
1) Dior Iconic Overcurl Waterproof Mascara – Not only does this mascara lift and separate every lash, it is the only one I’ve ever tried that does not flake after being in the water for a while. I need a mascara that can hold up to water skiing and playing with my 6-year-old twin nephews, and this one does just that!
2) Tarte Cheek Stain – I have always used powder blush only, but when I started working full-time, I realized that by the end of the day all of the color had faded. Putting on a dab of this cheek stain underneath my powder blush gives it staying power of 12 + hours. It can also be used alone with highlighter on the tops of your cheekbones for a dewy, flushed summer look that isn’t too heavy.
3) Sonia Kashunk Matte Lip Color – These lip crayons come in gorgeous hues ranging from nude colors to bright reds. Being super pigmented, one good application in the morning, and the color will show up in underwater photos taken later in the day. If you are used to buying NARS lip crayons, you need to try these! I personally feel they are better quality and they are way more affordable.
4) Make Up Forever Aqua Liner – Liquid liners can be tricky to apply, but this one has a skinny and pointed felt tip to make it foolproof. Adjusting from a delicate, thin line to a bold cat eye is easy, and even if you make a mistake, the applicator is so narrow that you can easily wipe it off.
5) Ben Nye Final Seal – I had a professional makeup artist use this on me for my wedding day and I went and bought my own spritzer afterwards. At first, I was apprehensive to use it because I didn’t want to spray something on my face and ruin my freshly applied makeup. But, if you mist from 8-10 inches away, the sealer will lay on top of your skin acting as a sort of hairspray for your face. This isn’t something I use every day, but if you have a special occasion and want your makeup to beat the heat, grab this bottle!
6) Smashbox Color Correcting Foundation Primer – Being in the sun can make your skin turn red and even bring out freckles and dark spots. This primer’s green undertones cancel out any red tints in your skin to give you a perfect blank canvas before applying foundation. Or, use it on its own for a great looking complexion and extra SPF.
7) Benefit Fake Up Concealer – When it is hot out, my concealer will sometimes settle into the fine lines under my eyes making me look older and tired. To stay looking fresh, I add this as a bottom layer under my normal concealer. Fake Up is surrounded by a moisturizing stick so you won’t get that dried, cakey look. It is not a full coverage concealer (which is why I layer), but it works wonders at preventing makeup from settling.
8) Origins Incredible Spreadable Smoothing Salt Body Scrub – Though you think salt would dry out your skin, this scrub is infused with essentials oils and scented with orange and spearmint to banish dry, rough skin in a single using. It works wonders on my legs, and just as impressive as what it is made with, is what it is made without – parabens, synthetic frangances, synthetic colors, and paraffin.
9) It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In – After spending a day on the beach, my hair gets really dry and unmanageable. This leave-in spray contains keratin (used in straightening treatments) to seal the hair’s cuticle, restore hydration, and regain balance. It also acts a heat protectant to save your tresses from the rays. A few spritzes of this, and I don’t even need to fix my hair!
10) Balenciaga Florabotanica Perfume – I know something of mine is good when my sister steals it! Light enough to wear during the day, this summery perfume reminds me of walking through a flower garden. It has a floral scent that isn’t too sweet smelling like a lot of the others. Clean and bright, this is in always in my bag in the summertime.
1) Dior Iconic Overcurl Waterproof Mascara | 2) Tarte Cheek Stain | 3) Sonia Kashunk Matte Lip Colors | 4) Makeup Forever Aqua Liner | 5) Ben Nye Final Seal Setting Spray | 6) Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer | 7) Benefit Fake Up Concealer | 8) Origins Incredible Spreadable Smoothing Salt Body Scrub | 9) It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In | 10) Balenciaga Florabotanica Perfume